Last Updated on by
Um, I think I am more shocked than anything else. For one thing, I can’t believe I have a nine-year-old child in the house now. Actually, scratch that. I KNOW I have a 9-year-old in the house now since she reminds me of it daily!
As for the blog, I doubt I can do justice to this post today, because, as crazy as this may sound, this piece of virtual real estate is so much a part of me. I just cannot begin to tell you all how good it feels to type a post here, write a snippet, relate an anecdote or share a parenting lesson I’ve learnt. How can I possibly say all that I want to say in one blog post?
This last year alone has been so incredibly wonderful. I’ve made many new blogging friends, started and maintain a new fiction/writing blog, started a new blogging group, got my own domain name, began a new job and just so much more.
What do I have to share from these 8 years that I haven’t said already? Considering I was so sporadic when I began blogging and then jumped into the posting frenzy last year and slowed down to a regular schedule this year (more or less), I’m hardly the authority on blogging practices. But then again, that’s never stopped me before, right? So, let’s give it a whirl.
- Happiness- Well, obviously! Happy that my blog is 8 years old, happy to be in this thing called blogging and happy that I can share this with so many readers.
- Gratitude– I cannot thank enough people for the existence and survival of this blog. But, primarily, I am grateful to Gy, my daughter, for the original inspiration and the continued lessons that she imparts through her wisdom and witty repartees!
- Relaxation– From worrying about publishing blog posts one after the other to slowing down and relaxing about publishing when I feel like it, has been so liberating. I write now when I want to write, except of course for sponsored posts 😉
- Peace– There is a sense of calm when it comes to blogging now. Maybe it’s the writing process or the idea of doing it regularly, but I feel calm when I blog. This absolute sense of peace settles on me when my fingers move over the keyboard.
- Purpose- There is a greater sense of purpose today when I blog. I know that for many people, it seems odd or weird when I seem to plug away at posts here and on my other blog, but writing gives me a sense of purpose. It puts my heart on display, so to speak.
- Connected– The best part about blogging, for me, is the engagement which turns into connections. Some of these are such solid ones that I can start listing the people who have shaped me as a blogger and not be done with the list even a week from now!
- Openness– I wouldn’t say I was ever the ‘jumping to conclusions’ type, but I have been guilty of being judgmental, especially where other parents were concerned. Starting and running a parenting group in conjunction with the lessons from my Yelling Less challenge has helped me embrace the differences in parenting styles much better.
- Inspired- 8 years is a long time to be doing one thing. If anything, it has strengthened my resolve to continue doing this thing that I love. Without my blog, I really wouldn’t be where I am today and although that sounds trite, it’s the absolute truth.
You know, I had intended to do something special- a contest or a giveaway or an ebook of some favourite posts- anything, to mark this day. But I just never got around to actually doing it. I’m not a big fan of doing something for the sake of doing it, as those of you who know me will attest, so I decided not to push myself. Maybe all of that or some of it will happen, at a later stage, when I am ready for it.
Till then, I just hope that what I write will continue to touch readers in any way possible.
Thanks for sticking with me and thank you for coming along on this journey.
The Best Blogging and Social Media Tips in your inbox