Kids can find English challenging given its various twists and turns but let’s face it, English is a must-have skill in the world today. It’s one of the most widely spoken languages in the world coming in third after Mandarin Chinese and Spanish. It’s also the language many of us use to express ourselves when we write or speak.
Suffice to say that it’s a very integral part of our lives and going forward, the new generation must be aware of the language and everything about it for them to thrive.
* Fun Fact: Did you know that a new word is added to the English language every two hours?! *
Quality English learning opens up different options for kids at varying levels of education. So how would you feel about a programme that not only teaches English but makes kids fall in love with the language right from the word ‘Go’?
The Cambridge English:Young Learners series is targeted at lower secondary and primary school children. It comprises a series of interesting English language tests designed to help them improve their language skills.
Kids who are currently enjoying their summer break will find this programme both enriching and entertaining. Why, you ask? Think of it as a great way to introduce and strengthen the child’s language skills while proactively learning something new.
This programme is a part of the not-for-profit wing of the University of Cambridge and intends to help children communicate effectively in English and enjoy the learning experience in the process through fun games and activities.
Here are some details about the programme that will help you understand it better.
What does it test:
All the four core skills for language development, namely, reading, writing, listening and speaking are covered in these tests.
What’s the format?
The tests are either computer-based or paper-pencil tests. Each test is for an hour and 15 minutes.
What does it contain:
These activity-based tests are of three types: Starters, Movers and Flyers. As the names imply, they are designed keeping in mind the level of comfort the child has with the language.
Cambridge English Starters:
Starters is for kids who have little or no knowledge of the language and who are looking to improve the same. Familiar topics and concepts are introduced to make them comfortable.
Cambridge English Movers:
Level 2 of the Young Learners programme, Movers,tests children on their spoken and reading skills, while helping them build confidence in their own abilities.
Cambridge English Flyers:
Flyers is for the advanced group of children who have achieved sufficient mastery over the basics of the language and can now be tested on how well they do in the four core skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking.
Who can take the tests:
Students from all over the world can attempt the tests since they are now available on computers and tablets worldwide. Here’s a short video to give you a quick overview of the programme.
What’s great about the tests:
- They are extremely intuitive and adaptable to the learning level of the child.
- There is no pass or fail where these tests are concerned. Anyone who attempts the test gets a certificate.
- What is rewarded is learning, which ideally, should be the focus of all education.
- Day to day situations are used to bring out language learning scenarios. Kids can relate to them instantly.
- Both American and British English are covered in the tests.
- It is fair to students of all linguistic and national backgrounds
Helpful resources for parents:
Here are some things you can do to get your child started.
- To register for the Cambridge English young learners programme and find out if your region has an exam centre for the Young Learners programme, please click here.
- Find multiple resources, links, videos and activities at the Young Learners portal as well as the main page.
- Get your kids to attempt the learning tests on this page, especially those geared towards levels A1 and A2.
- You can also download the Cambridge Young Learners practice apps on your iPhone and iPad from the App Store here.
This is a sponsored post.