A research study by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, US, found that people on plant-based diets are less likely to develop heart disease, cancer, diabetes and high blood pressure than meat eaters. On a personal note, my own autoimmune condition, urticaria, completely stopped after I switched to a vegan diet in September 2023. Additionally, my menstrual cycles have regularized, my perimenopause symptoms are all visibly under control and my energy levels have increased significantly since making this change.
So, when you’re thinking of going plant-based, start with one meal a day and make it a vegan one. Today, let’s make that breakfast.
Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day and it’s necessary to make it both nutritious and filling. If you’re following a plant-based lifestyle, making vegan breakfasts is actually simpler than you think.
Plant-based Breakfast ideas:
- Millet idli – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R0xEfVBbmQ
- Millet Uthappam
- Millet Dosa (Use the same batter as 1 for all three days)
- Watermelon Dosa – https://holycowvegan.net/wprm_print/12803
- Poha – https://www.indianhealthyrecipes.com/wprm_print/37612
- Upma – https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/wprm_print/137102/
- Peserattu https://www.sharmispassions.com/wprm_print/52661
- Rava Idli (without curd): https://delishably.com/world-cuisine/Instant-Rava-semolina-Idli-Without-curd
- Adai – https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/wprm_print/169778/
- Besan Cheela – https://www.indianveggiedelight.com/wprm_print/119930
- Theplas -(Without curd) – https://www.veganricha.com/wprm_print/26640
- Rava Dosa (Vegan version) – https://www.gruballergy.com/vegan-rava-dosa-suji-dosa/
- Pal Appam (Kerala Appams) with stew – https://thefamiliarkitchen.com/kerala-appam-palappam/
- Pooris with Choley/ Channa Masala – Once in two weeks, you can indulge the deep-fried need 🙂
- Tomato Semiya Upma- (replace ghee with oil)
- Sevai – Coconut/Lemon/Tamarind
** Recipe using readymade sevai (avoid ghee)
** Recipe to make sevai with rice flour at home
- Gojju Avalakki – https://youtu.be/NhYfLxuLkmU?si=Gdpspbsg2Emx9iEA
- Rice flour Neer dosa – https://youtu.be/W-BmMdwr06o?si=kjLV9Ni_SQqttBCr
- Quinoa Dosa – https://youtu.be/d3JrCv4yDkI?si=bdC7DPwmALLuE97d
- Oats and Coconut Dosa – https://www.archanaskitchen.com/oats-and-coconut-dosa-recipe
- Drumstick leaves Adai – https://youtu.be/2sjbtyD9AGQ?si=2sS7MyRuhkyGrw1S
I’ve shared Indian plant -based breakfast ideas for 21 days.
If you feel like switching it up sometime, you can add the following recipes too:
- Oats porridge with fruits, nuts, seeds and nut butters
- Whole wheat bread sandwiches with vegetable filling – tomato/onion/mushroom/tofu/capsicum/spring onion
- Granola with plant milk – add fruits/berries for extra nutrition
Most of these breakfast items require limited planning, except for the Millet batter/ Palappam batter which require soaking, grinding and fermentation. Watermelon dosa requires minimal soaking time.
Adai/Peserattu don’t need fermentation time but do need to soak before they are ground into batter.